Cyber Security of Social Robots and the Internet of Things
- Learn about common practices developers use to build an Internet of Things (IoT) system where some action is taken based on sensor data.
- Learn how to setup and program at least one personal assistant or social robot (such as Google Home or the JD Humanoid from EZ Robots)
- Design and develop an IoT system that includes at least one sensor producing data that is sent to a personal assistant. The data will either be communicated directly or through a cloud connection.
- Brainstorm and research the literature on security threats and vulnerabilities pertaining to such IoT systems. Focus on those that are specific to systems including personal assistants.
- Outline possible ways to protect from at least one such threat/vulnerability.
- Exploit at least one of the system's possible threats/vulnerabilities
- Interact with Google Home; record voice commands and responses; comment on usability.
|Week 1 - Orientation and Research General Topics||
|Week 2 - Start Learning Latex and Further Research into Different IoT Architectures||
|Week 3 - Write the code for one microcontroller and sensor setup||
|Week 4 - Work on find some Cybersecurity Vulnerabilities with the Social Robot||
|Week 5 - Work on Microsoft Cognitive Vision and Presentation||Complete|
|Week 6 - If everything is complete by this point, add the robot to the system.||Complete|
|Week 7 - Brainstorm and research the security vulnerabilities of the system; try to compromise the system.||Complete|
|Week 8 - Continue work on compromising and protecting the system; start writing research paper||Complete|
|Week 9 - Continue work from previous two weeks; create poster.||Complete|
|Week 10 - Finish research paper and poster||Complete|