Welcome to the Marquette University MSCS Department REU Wiki
Summer Research Experience for Undergraduates
Computation Across the Disciplines
Throughout science and engineering fields, the availability of cheap computer processing power is driving increased interest in large-scale and multi-scale problems that were previously thought to be intractable or unsolvable through traditional methods. The rise of high-throughput, parallel, and distributed computing technologies has created a great need for researchers and practitioners with a deep understanding of computer science, mathematical modeling and statistical methods who can work across disciplines to build real solutions. This can include developing new computational methodologies, computer software and/or computer systems, as well as new theoretical models.
At the same time, ever smaller computing platforms have inserted computation into mobile, embedded, and ubiquitous realms of human experience that would have been unthinkable only a few years ago. Energy consumption of both massive computing clusters and battery-operated appliances is of great concern.
Our mentor research areas lie in all of these areas, as well as in how people learn to work in these fields, and how we prepare the next generation of students to explore computational sciences and mathematics.
Applied Mathematical Modeling:
- Using Gaussian Stochastic Processes (GaSP) for Hazard Mapping. Mentor Dr. Elaine Spiller
- Risk Modeling for Pyroclastic Volcano Flows. Mentor Dr. Elaine Spiller
- Data Assimilation For Fluid Dynamic Models. Mentor Dr. Elaine Spiller
- The Role of Leptin in Fat, Inflammation and the Immune System. Mentor: Dr. Stephen Merrill
- Characteristics of the (i,j)-Step Competition Graphs of Real Food Webs. Mentor Dr. Kim Factor
High Performance Computing and Computational Science:
- Discovering Significant Pathways of Gene Regulation. Mentor Dr. Serdar Bozdag
- Deep Learning and Energy Forecasting. Mentors: GasDay Laboratory's Dr. Richard Povinelli, Dr. George Corliss, Dr. Ron Brown, Tom Quinn
Embedded, Mobile, and Ubiquitous Systems:
- Embedded Xinu Operating System on Raspberry Pi. Mentor Dr. Dennis Brylow
- Self-Contained Solar Energy Experiment Kits. Mentors Dr. Dennis Brylow and Dr. Lisa Bosman.
- Personalizing Places of Interest Using Social Media Analysis. Mentor Dr. Praveen Madiraju
- Complex Activity Recognition. Mentor Dr. Iqbal Ahamed
- Intrusion Detection in Swarm Robotics. Mentor Dr. Debbie Perouli
- Cyber Security Vulnerabilities in Avionics Networking. Mentor Dr. Debbie Perouli
- Networking in Electronic Financial Markets. Mentor Dr. Debbie Perouli
Mathematics and Computer Science Education: